Friday, July 1, 2011

Graddyation Party

I'm pretty tired after a long day yesterday of exploring Mayan ruins and sitting in the hot, hot sun, so please excuse the jubled mess of this post. I’m almost halfway through my trip here and I’m growing accustomed to the heat, to having a gecko or two in the bathroom with me most of the time, and to driving like a maniac in a third-world vehicle with the windows shot out and no seats. I am starting to wish that I were staying for much, much longer because I just love the people here so much. In three weeks, you really just scratch the surface of the relationships that can be developed and the doors that can be opened for ministry.

Last week I went to, as Joel calls it, a graddyation party out in Ghost Town, a part of town that people don’t seem to want to go to (even a few people who live around the corner from Ghost Town had never been there before). There had been a shooting there the night before, so most of the men were laying low while the kids and the women celebrated. It’s weird that things are like that all the time here. I'm tucked away safely outside the city and don't see any of the violence because it is all gang-related (and we haven’t been holing up with the gangs much of late), but I do see the people who are touched by it every day. Tonight I picked up some kids for youth group who were late because they were at their cousin’s funeral. Two of the littler boys, probably like 7- or 8-years-old, told me  in a dull, matter-of-fact way, that their cousin had had “his head shot off." This right after I was stopped by a different person’s funeral procession when driving downtown to buy a volleyball. It’s just so common. Someone has been shot and killed in a gang-member-targeted incident somewhere on the south side of the city every night since I’ve been here. I was talking to a guy outside the church a few nights ago who said, “We’re living in hell, and hell is getting bigger and stronger.” It’s a tough place for kids to grow up, so it is refreshing to go to youth group on a Friday night and see so many kids who would be out wandering the streets. But keep these people in prayer. There is nothing that God doesn’t see and nothing too difficult for Him to accomplish. 

I’ve had the chance to help with worship quite a bit since I’ve been here and I love that. It’s fun to be able to do what you love to fill a need. Although my repertoire of songs was challenged when I played guitar on Wednesday night. I know about 9 songs and naturally I had to play 10, but it was such a blessing to get to play and sing. Some of the kids who were just starting to lead worship when I left last time have really turned in to fantastic musicians, so it’s great to jump in with them. Almost the whole worship team here has left for the summer, so pray that others will be lifted up to fill the void.

Elly, Whitney and I leave for high school camp in the jungle tomorrow. Should be fun to hang out with the kids, see my first scorpions and jaguars in their native habitat, and see more of this beautiful country. The bus ride will be a long adventure and I doubt I’ll have internet access when I get there, but I’ll update you when we get back on Friday night. Hope you all have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment