Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Night Youth Group

An amazing day that ended with a wild Belizian dance party at Strong Tower. This place grows on me a little more every day. I'm excited to wake up and see the ocean from the roof, watch the rain clouds roll in, and cover myself in bug spray.

Tonight was youth group with a special graduation party. We had a big BBQ outside the church before hand, and Elly had her first experience talking to a crack-addict prostitute. I'll let you ask her about that :) Later, I got to sing Pomp and Circumstance with some original lyrics (which no one in Belize thought were at all funny) and Joel gave a heart-felt graduation address that mimicked Jimmy Fallon "Thank You" letters. We dressed one of the kids up like Richard Simmonds and the rest is history. About 65 kids came and spent the night at church instead of on the street and every single one of them heard the gospel message. I was blown away by the fact that this entire church was started out of prayer, and the willing hearts of Joel and Denise to move according to the Lord's leading. God can do so much and desires to use us to accomplish great things. Who are we to make plans, or question where He is moving us? This church is truly changing the violent and desolate area that it is in, and there is so much hope now that wasn't there years ago. At the end of the night the entire youth group played Let's Dance 2 TOGETHER, and I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life.

I get the chance to teach some of the girls here some vocal basics and I'm pretty unsure about what to teach them. I've really only given voice lessons to one person who was really eager to learn, so I have no idea how to approach girls who are learning out of obligation.

This coming week Whitney gets here and things start to settle down for the rest of the summer. Pray that all of the girls in the house would mesh well, open up to each other, and grow in the Lord.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment